In Virginia, 35.1% of households have at least one gun.1 Two-thirds of gun owners say they own more than one gun, including 29% who own more than 5 guns.2 For those individuals who operate a child care program out of their home, safe gun storage is essential so that children cannot have access to weapons that could be used to unintentionally cause serious injury or death.
It’s not about owning guns. It’s about being responsible for safe gun storage for those who operate a child care program so that children will not have access to potentially dangerous weapons.
No child in child care should have access to a gun.
Sample Social Media Posts:
- Firearms are the 1st-leading cause of death among children and teens in Virginia. If you own it, keep it LOCKED, UNLOADED, and stored OUT OF CHILDREN’S REACH.
- No child in child care should have access to a gun. We know you care. Keep it LOCKED, UNLOADED, and stored OUT OF CHILDREN’S REACH. It’s the law!
- Parents and child care providers can work together to ensure children never gain access to a firearm. If you own a gun, always keep it LOCKED, UNLOADED, and stored OUT OF CHILDREN’S REACH.
Donate to This Campaign
Make a Pledge
- Make the Sandy Hook Promise
- Own it? Respect it. Secure it. Take the Project ChildSafe Safety Pledge
- Project ChildSafe Child’s Pledge