Child Care Aware of Virginia’s child care mapping project allows you to see the various types of child care programs throughout Virginia. Each map can be viewed from a statewide perspective, or you can zoom in to see counties, communities or neighborhoods. A legend is available for each map to describe the type of child care shown (licensed centers, license-exempt care, etc.). Overlaid with child poverty data (varying shades of red, darkening as poverty levels increase), the mapping clearly shows that some high poverty areas have very few licensed (or quality-rated) child care programs available to families. Data reflects operating status as of October 2021.
Your view of the interactive maps below can be customized by checking or unchecking the features you would like to see.
These maps are intended for data/research use only. They should not be used to search for child care, as they are not regularly updated. To search for available child care in your area, click here.
- Click on the map to open and view the programs in each type of care category
- Zoom in to see counties, communities or neighborhoods
- On the left panel, view the legend to see the color coding symbols for types of child care
- On the left panel, click on “content” to check or uncheck various categories
- County poverty levels are reflected with various shades of red (darkest indicating highest poverty)
- Click on the symbols/colors to see a pop-up box with program details (program info, census data)
- % Poverty vs. % Working Families: The map background is auto-set to show % of poverty of the area. You can change this feature to show the % of children in households where all parents are working. Uncheck ACS Poverty Status Variables and Check ACS Children by Parental Labor Force Participation Variables. This changes the background color to purple (the darkest shade reflects the greatest % of children in working families. As the purple becomes lighter, the % declines).
- Map loading time may take a few seconds, so please be patient!
For more detailed descriptions of each licensing type, visit childcareva.com and click on Providers.
Child Care Centers
Click here to see licensed child care centers in Virginia.
Family Child Care Homes
Local Permit and Family Day System
Click here to see NOVA local permit and family day system providers.
Virginia Preschool Initiative (VPI) Programs
Click here to see VPI programs in Virginia.
School-Aged Child Care Programs
Click here to see school-age child care programs in Virginia.
Head Start and Early Head Start
Click here to see Head Start and Early Head Start programs in Virginia.
License-Exempt Child Care Programs
Click here to see religious license-exempt child care centers and voluntary registered home-based child care in Virginia.
Vendors Participating in the Child Care Subsidy Program
Click here to see center-based and home-based child care providers participating in Virginia’s child care subsidy program.
Centers and Home-based programs participating in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)
Click here to see programs participating in CACFP in Virginia, which offers reimbursement for nutritious meals and snacks in centers and homes serving lower-income children. Data used in this map is self-reported by providers. Learn more about CACFP here.
All Child Care Programs
Click here to see all child care programs in Virginia. It may take a few minutes for all variables to load. You may want to uncheck all of the layer options (types of child care) once the map fully loads, and click on each layer you want to add back to the map. Zoom in to check out your neighborhood! Change the background from % of poverty to % of children with working parents (under the content tab on the left, just click off “ACS poverty status” and click on “ACS Children by Parent Labor Force Participation.” ACS stands for American Community Survey conducted by the U.S. Census Bureau.