Preschool programs that are operated by private schools and are accredited by a statewide accrediting organization or another accrediting organization recognized by the Board of Education are exempt from licensure. These programs must submit a Documentation for Certification of Preschool Programs with VDOE prior to the beginning of the school year and annually thereafter. Initial filings for exemption as a certified preschool must be submitted through the online portal with required attachments. Refer to this quick reference guide for step-by-step instructions on using the online portal. If you are unable to access the online portal or encounter difficulties using the online portal, please contact the Office of Child Care Health and Safety in your region.
The following listed documents are required attachments for an initial filing for exemption and will need to be uploaded in the online portal when submitting your initial application:
- Compliance Statement of Required Documentation
- Accreditation Verification
- Checklist of Section 22.1-289.032
- Virginia Council for Private Education Certification
- Building, Health and Fire Safety Inspection Verification
- A list of qualifications of school staff who work in the preschool program including job titles, education, training, experience, and/or skills.
Visit the VDOE website and learn more about this process here.