Providers that wish to become a Voluntarily Registered family day homes must care for less than 4 children at any given time (not including their own children and children that reside in the home). Voluntary Registration is not available in areas where local ordinances regulate unlicensed providers (Alexandria, Arlington, and Fairfax).
Providers interested in becoming Voluntarily Registered must submit an application, a $50 application fee, results of TB screening, results of criminal history search and child abuse registry search, child abuse search for children in the home aged 14-17, a sworn statement of affirmation for all adults in the home, and a self-assessment of health and safety compliance. The Office of Child Care Health and Safety or a contract agency will conduct a home inspection to assess health and safety compliance. Voluntarily Registered family day homes receive a two-year certificate of registration and must receive a new inspection every 2 years to renew.
Steps for Getting Started:
- Review the following resources: Welcome Letter, Voluntary Registration of Family Day Homes: Requirements for Providers, and Background Checks for child day programs
- Determine if your home is in a city/county administered by the Office of Child Care Health and Safety or a contract agency
- If your location falls under the Office of Child Care Health and Safety, you will complete the initial application for licensure through the Child Care Application Processing System (CCAPS) online portal. Click here to begin the application process.
- If your location falls under a contract agency, you will submit the following forms directly to the contract agency along with their payment requirements:
- Complete background check requirements
Visit the VDOE website for more information about this process here.
Children’s Emergency Medical Authorization
Individual Health Care/Special Needs
Information for Parents Statement
Liability Insurance Declaration
Permission to Take Child on Trips or Outings
Program Decision to Not Administer Medication
Record of Emergency Evacuation Drills
Additional Forms, Policies, and Templates available to members of the Virginia Shared Services Network. Learn more about joining here.