It is well known that what happens in the early years not only matters, it matters a lot. Young children are continuously growing and learning and there are opportunities to learn in everything they do. We know that children learn best during activities that are part of their every day routines. For children, every experience is new, so things that adults barely notice can be interesting and exciting. Check out these resources for turning every day moments into moments of learning.
Born Learning Everyday life is a learning experience for children. Born Learning is a public engagement campaign that helps parents, grandparents and caregivers explore ways to turn everyday moments into fun learning opportunities. Visit their web site to find out how children learn, get tips on creating opportunities for learning and learning on the go.
The free Vroom app sends tips to help turn mealtime, bath time and more into brain-building moments for your child.
Baby Games Calendar Find activities, milestones and more than 300 games based on your baby’s birth date.
Big Feelings from Sesame Street Videos and activities to help children learn about feelings.
Play with Me! Fun Activities that Support Early Learning Learning activities that parents and grandparents can play with children from birth to 3 years. (In English and Spanish.)
Preschooler Practice Guides for Parents Fun early reading experiences to do with your child. Learn how to take advantage of everyday learning opportunities at home and in your community.
Check out these Scholastic Parent Videos Teachable Moments for ideas on how to turn more everyday activities into learning opportunities for your child.
Magic of Every Day Moments
ZERO TO THREE has published a new series of free videos which explore key aspects of early childhood development. The videos show how adult interactions shape the growth and learning of infants and toddlers.
Series 1 Titles
- Brain Wonders – Nurturing healthy brain development from birth.
- Literacy Skills – The roots of reading start at birth.
- Power of Play – Building skills while having fun.
- Temperament – What makes your child tick?
Series 2 Titles
- Development from Birth to 12 Months Old – Forming a trusting bond to nurture learning.
- Development from 12 to 24 Months Old – Strong, positive connections and interactions fuel learning.
- Development from 24 to 36 Months Old – New skills develop through play, routines and relationships.
- School Readiness – Foundations in language, literacy, thinking and social-emotional skills.
Series 3 Titles
- From Cries to Conversations – The development of communication skills from birth to 3.
- Driven to Discover – How thinking skills develop through everyday play and exploration.
- From Feelings to Friendships – Nurturing healthy social-emotional development in the early years.
- Busy Bodies – How the development of physical skills supports learning.